[ovs-discuss] Help with VLAN Setup in Open vSwitch

Damien McArthur damien.m79 at icloud.com
Tue Mar 31 20:42:52 UTC 2020

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could provide a little more guidance on how to setup VLANs on OVS. I have found some documentation but it seems a little vague, or maybe I’m just not understanding it correctly. Below is an explanation of my setup….

I have a box running CentOS 7 as the host OS. I also have KVM and Open vSwitch installed. The VMs I am running are as follows:
pfSense VM (my firewall/router)
SMB/NFS file server VM (CentOS 7)
Plex Media Server VM (Debian 9)
Windows 10 VM
Debian 10 VM
(the last 2 VM are just general use VMs; all VMs are running on an OVS bridge)

Here is the other hardware I have in my setup:

Arris SB8200 modem
Netgear GS728TPv2 managed switch
Netgear R7800 (flashed with OpenWRT and running as a multi-VLAN AP)
I also installed a 2-port PCIe NIC card on my box so the pfSense VM could have it's own NIC hardware (the box already has 2 NIC ports on the mobo). 1 port (port A) is connected directly to my modem so it receives the WAN address. The other port (port B) connects to port 1 on my managed switch. I do have some VLANs setup on my switch (100 for LAN, 200 for WLAN, 201 for WLAN_Guest).

Ok so here's my question....how do I setup OVS with VLANs so my VMs can get IP address from the correct DHCP server in pfSense, and so I can connect to those VMs from my laptop/PCs which are hardwired into the switch? If more info is needed, I am more than happy to provide it. Thanks in advance :)

Regards,
Damien McArthur