[ovs-discuss] Connecting two servers over layer 2 openvswitch without encapsulation

Gilbert Standen gilstanden at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 13 05:29:10 UTC 2020

So this may be a very dumb question, but is there any way to connect two separate physical servers with layer 2 openvswitches on each separate server over a physical layer 3 network without using an encapsulation scheme (e.g. GRE, VXLAN, etc) ?  There are many workloads that are somewhat hobbled by having to use MTU other than 1500 or 9000, such as database workloads, and so I'm asking this probably dumb question, because just me, I cannot see how it is possible to avoid encapsulation when pushing data between servers over a layer 2 network running on a physical layer 3 network, but I thought I would ask anyway.  Thanks,
Gilbert