[ovs-discuss] Way of handling rules at the OVS flow-table is there any time order?

Jordi Baranda jorge.baranda at cttc.es
Thu Nov 19 11:20:01 UTC 2020

Dear OVSers,

I am working in adding some restoration capabilities to my SDN
controller app. I am in the design phase and I thinking of the
implications of using break-before-make or make-before-break strategies.

If I use break-before-make, there is no problem because I replace the
rules and that is. However for the make-before-break approach, I foresee
that there will be some flow rules with the same match fields but
different action fields. (e.g, t0: in_port: 3 -> out_port: 2 vs t1:
in_port: 3 -> out_port:4, where t0 means time0 and t1 means time1 and t1
 > t0 (older time instant) ).  I know I could handle that with
priorities but I think this may add further complexity to the SDN
controller app.

I am wondering if I can skip this treatment at the SDN controller app
making use of how OVS applies/evaluates rules in the flow table. More
specifically, rules in the flow table of OVS (for the same priority) are
evaluated in any time order? That is, OVS is considering "t1 rule"
(which is more recent than the one of t0) before than "t0 rule"
(however, t0 rule will be erased afterwards)? Or are the flow-rules in
the flow table ordered/evaluated "randomly"? Additionally, has this
changed through the OVS versions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions,

Jordi

--
CTTC Logo

*Jorge Baranda*
Senior Researcher, MsC
jorge.baranda at cttc.cat <mailto:jorge.baranda at cttc.cat>

Centre Tecnològic de Telecomunicacions de Catalunya (CTTC)
Av. Carl Friedrich Gauss, 7 - Building B4
08860 - Castelldefels
Tel.: +34 93 645 29 00

_DATA PROTECTION INFORMATION. Data controller: CENTRE TECNOLOGIC DE
TELECOMUNICACIONS DE CATALUNYA (G62616586):_

We inform you that your identification data and the data contained in
the emails and attached files can be incorporated into our databases, in
order to maintain professional and / or commercial relationships, and
that it will be preserved throughout the relationship. According to the
current regulations, you can exercise your right to access,
rectification, erasure, restriction of processing, to portability and to
object by sending an email to dpo at cttc.cat.
This message and any attached document, where appropriate, may be
confidential and intended for the original recipient only.

L'informem que les seves dades identificatives i les compreses als
correus electrònics i fitxers adjunts poden ser incorporades a les
nostres bases de dades amb la finalitat de mantenir relacions
professionals i/o comercials i, que seran conservades mentre es
mantingui aquesta relació. Si ho desitja, pot exercir el seu dret
d'accés, rectificació, supressió, limitació del tractament, portabilitat
i objecció enviant un correu electrònic a dpo at cttc.cat.
Aquest missatge i qualsevol document adjunt, en el seu cas, pot ser
confidencial i destinat únicament a la persona o entitat a qui s'hagi
enviat.

Before printing this e-mail or attachments, be sure it is necessary. It
is in our hands to protect the environment.