[ovs-discuss] [OVN]: IP address representing external destinations

Han Zhou hzhou at ovn.org
Wed Sep 16 21:08:56 UTC 2020

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 10:07 AM Alexander Constantinescu <
aconstan at redhat.com> wrote:

> In this example it is equivalent to just "ip4.src == 10.244.2.5/32"'.
>>

> Yes, I was just using it as an example (though, granted, noop example)
>
> Some background to help steer the discussion:
>
> Essentially the functionality here is to have south -> north traffic from
> certain logical switch ports exit the cluster through a dedicated node (an
> egress node if you will). To do this we currently have a set of default
> logical router policies, intended to leave east <-> west traffic untouched,
> and then logical router policies with a lower priority, which specify
> reroute actions for this functionality to happen. However, on large
> clusters, there's this concern that the default logical router policies
> will become too many. Hence why the idea here would be to drop them
> completely and have this "special IP" that we can use to filter on the
> destination, south -> north, traffic .
>
> If you have a default route, anything "unknown" would just hit the default
>> route, right? Why would you need another IP for this purpose?
>>

> As to remove the default logical router policies, which can become a
> lot, on big clusters - as described above. With only reroute policies of
> type: "ip4.src == 10.244.2.5/32 && ip4.dst == SOUTH_TO_NORTH_IP" things
> would become lighter.

Thanks for the background. So you have:
<east-west route1>
<east-west route2>
default route (lowest priority): ip4.src == <logical switch X subnet>,
nexthop = <gateway router for X>
default route (lowest priority): ip4.src == <logical switch Y subnet>,
nexthop = <gateway router for Y>

Is this the current situation?
When you say there are too many default routes, what do you mean in the
above example? How would the SOUTH_TO_NORTH_IP solve the problem?

In addition, if SOUTH_TO_NORTH_IP is a user defined IP, I am not sure how
would it work, because ip4.dst is the dst IP from packet header. Comparing
it with SOUTH_TO_NORTH_IP would just result in mismatch, unless all
south-to-north traffic really has this IP as destination (I guess that's
not the case).