[ovs-discuss] Need assistance

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 17:41:09 UTC 2021

On 4/15/21 11:47 AM, Gk Gk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a discussion with Michelson on the IRC regarding my questions on
> the OVN man page.  On page 8, under the Distributed gateway ports
> section, the page discusses the physical mtu issues while sending the
> traffic through the tunnel.
>
> They man page suggests two options. One is to set the
> reside-on-redirect-chassis option. If we set that option  they said this,
>
> "/The first solution is the reside−on−redirect−chassis option for
> logical router ports. Setting this option on a LRP from (e.g.) LS1 to
> LR1 disables forwarding from LS1 to LR1 except on the gateway chassis.
> On chas- sis other than the gateway chassis, this single change means
> that packets that would otherwise have been forwarded to LR1 are instead
> forwarded to LN1. The instance of LN1 on the gateway chassis then
> receives the packet and forwards it to LR1. The packet traverses the LR1
> logical router pipeline, possibly undergoes NAT, and eventually ends up
> at LSlocal’s localnet port. The packet never traverses a tunnel,
> avoiding the MTU issue./
>
> /This option has the further consequence of centralizing ‘‘distributed’’
> logical router LR1, since no packets are forwarded from LS1 to LR1 on
> any chassis other than the gateway chassis. Therefore, east-west traffic
> passes through the gateway chassis, not just north-south. (The naive
> ‘‘fix’’ of allowing east-west traffic to flow directly between chassis
> over LN1 does not work because routing sets the Ethernet source address
> to LR1’s source address. Seeing this single Ethernet source address
> originate from all of the chassis will con- fuse the physical switch.)/"
>

> I have few questions on the above excerpt from the man page.  I have
> attached a diagram for the reference.  If you see the diagram attached ,
> if  we set the reside-on-redirect-chassis option, then the east-west
> traffic from VM1 goes thru LN1 port on LS1 to the gateway  chassis where
> the LR router is. This east-west traffic from VM1 will never go through
> the LR1 on HV1 due to this setting. In this scenario, can you explain me
> how it will change the ethernet source address of the east-west traffic
> to the LR1 source address, and how will the traffic emerge from all
> chassis with the same ethernet source address ?

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure about why the manpage claims that
east-west traffic will have the MAC flapping issue. I can understand for
N-S though.

The diagram is a bit hard to parse since it's hard to see how the GW-LR
is connected to the other logical datapaths. But I have to assume that
there is some sort of switch that connects LR1 and LR2 to GW-LR. We can
call this LS-pub

Consider an alternate network setup where VM1 and VM2 are both connected
to LR1 instead. Let's consider the situation where VM1 sends traffic
that needs to go out the GW-LR to the public. In that case, the traffic
starts on HV1 and goes VM1 -> LS1 -> LR1 -> LS-pub. Then for the egress
pipeline of LS-pub, the traffic will go out of LS-pub's localnet port to
the gateway chassis. The source MAC on the packet will be LR1's MAC, and
the TOR switch received the packet from HV1.

Now what aboue when VM2 needs to send traffic to GW-LR. The traffic
starts on HV2 and goes VM2 -> LS2 -> LR1 -> LS-pub. Then for the egress
pipeline of LS-pub the traffic will go out of LS-pub's localnet port to
the gateway chassis. The source MAC on the packet will be LR1's MAC, but
this time the TOR switch is receiving the packet from HV2.

This is the situation I understand. I'm not 100% sure why the east-west
situation would cause an issue though.