[ovs-discuss] "ovs-vsctl get openvswitch . other_config" results in "WARN connection dropped"

Ilya Maximets i.maximets at ovn.org
Tue Feb 2 18:22:55 UTC 2021

This warning is caused by db_change_aware message that idl sends to
ovsdb-server, but never actually waits for confirmation.  And while
trying to send the confirmation, ovsdb-server discovers that connection
was already closed on the other side.

This issue was already debugged by Dumitru and we even have a patch:
  http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/patch/1594380801-32134-1-git-send-email-dceara@redhat.com/

The problem I have with this patch and 'db_change_aware' handling in
general is that it's hacked into idl state machine instead of graceful
integration.  That is the actual root cause why idl doesn't wait for
the reply from the server.

The patch above is a not so clean way to fix the original not so clean
implementation.  So, it probably doesn't make things worse, but makes me
uncomfortable anyway.  On the other hand, graceful integration to the
state machine sounds like a too much work for such a simple thing.
And I guess, that was the thought behind the original implementation
of 'db_change_aware'.

I'm in doubts.

We might explore different ways to fix that though, e.g. allow
ovsdb-server to not reply to 'db_change_aware' requests if client
will set a special flag, or something like that.  Or we could
simply reduce the logging level for this kind of message on a
server side (might be not a good thing to do).

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.