[ovs-discuss] Unit openvswitch.service could not be found

Frode Nordahl frode.nordahl at canonical.com
Fri Feb 5 18:12:22 UTC 2021

On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 2:27 PM George Papathanail
<papathanail24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello I installed openvswitch with the sudo apt install openvswitch-switch command,
>
> I can use the ovs-vsctl command to create bridges etc.
>
> But when I run the service openvswitch status command I took the following message:
> Unit openvswitch.service could not be found.
>
> Why did this happen?

Hello George,

Assuming you are on Ubuntu, you will find the package provides three
systemd services:
openvswitch-switch.service
ovs-vswitchd.service
ovsdb-server.service

The openvswitch-switch.service is a "virtual" umbrella service to
manage both the ovs-vswitchd and ovsdb-server services from one entry
point. We do this because Open vSwitch consists of multiple parts
which one may want to operate independently.

In any case, you can view the status of the services with these commands:
`systemctl status openvswitch-switch`
`systemctl status ovs-vswitchd`
`systemctl status ovsdb-server`

You may also add the `.service` suffix to the above commands if you want to.

--
Frode Nordahl