[ovs-discuss] [OVN] Should we tunnel traffic on localnet switches?

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Mon Feb 15 13:52:17 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

Recently we found out that due to a misconfiguration of the OVN bridge
mappings, traffic that should be sent out to an external bridge was
tunneled to the destination. Since the traffic was working, it took a while
to spot the misconfiguration.

While this can be ok as it keeps everything functional, it can have an
impact in the throughput and the overall performance. The intent of this
email is to gather feedback as to whether we should keep this behavior or
rather, drop the traffic and log the misconfiguration issue (like
patch-port is missing, review the bridge mappings configuration?).

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks a lot,
daniel