[ovs-discuss] OVN Dynamic Routing

Daniel Alvarez Sanchez dalvarez at redhat.com
Thu Jan 7 12:17:12 UTC 2021

Thanks Ankur, all for the presentation and slides.

If I may, I have a some questions regarding the proposed solution:

1) Who is responsible for creating the VTEP endpoints on each hypervisor?
Are they assumed to be created in advance or somehow this solution will
take care of it? If the latter, how will it work and how will 'ovn-routing'
know the addresses of the endpoints? OVN VTEP gateways?

2) In the diagram at [0], what's the 'MAC ROUTER'? Is this OVN Logical
Router connected to a Logical Switch with a localnet port and this MAC
address corresponds to such port in the router? Or it would be the MAC
address of '10.0.0.1'. What if two VMs in the same LS reside on different
hypervisors, would you still advertise the same MAC but use a different VNI?
With OVN routers being distributed we'd have the same MAC address
advertised on multiple HVs and we need to use different VNIs to distinguish
them, right?

3) If two OVN VMs want to reach each other, it will still use the Geneve
overlay right? This whole solution is mainly for incoming traffic or I'm
missing something?

I'm sorry if the questions are a bit blurry but I guess that after
reviewing the slides and recording I didn't quite grasp it :)

Thanks a lot in advance!
daniel

[0] https://youtu.be/9DL8M1d4xLY?t=330