[ovs-discuss] why the datapath-id choose the minimum non-local MAC address among all of the ports in bridge

taoyunupt taoyunupt at 126.com
Thu Jan 28 01:57:49 UTC 2021

At 2021-01-28 09:29:45, "Ben Pfaff" <blp at ovn.org> wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 06:13:12PM +0800, taoyunupt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     If no configure of "datapath-id" in other_config of br, then it will  choose the minimum non-local MAC address among all of the ports in bridge. The relevant code is in the find_local_hw_addr function(https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/vswitchd/bridge.c#L2322).
>>
>>     In this case, If a new  port with miner mac, it will change the dpid ,and the mac of br-int. It will cause frequently reset with SDN controller by ofproto_set_datapath_id function.
>>     Is this reasonable?
>
>This solution is the best one we know.  It yields a predictable port MAC
>address and datapath ID given a particular collection of ports.  It's
>been that way for perhaps 10 years or so.
>

>I don't know what a miner mac is.

The "miner" should be "smaller", sorry for that.

If a new  port with smaller MAC, it will change the dpid ,and the MAC of  bridge, so  a connection  reset will happen. I don't understand why the mac address of the port affects the mac address of the bridge . I think hold a MAC address(such as default ea?) steady is neccesary, what do you think?

>If you want a bridge to have a particular MAC address, it's easy to set

>one.

yes ,we can set "datapath-id" in other_config of bridge.