[ovs-discuss] Custom Experimenter Message

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Mon Jul 12 18:59:58 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 08:39:21PM +0300, Apostolis Prassas wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> First of all, I am new it this mailing list, and I would like to apologize
> if there is already a relative thread. I have searched for it, but I did
> not find anything similar.
>
> So, to start with which is my goal. While I'm using an SDN controller
> (Ryu), I'm sending an Experimenter message ( specifically an
> ExperimenterStatsRequest message) to the open vswitch, and I would like the
> switch to decode it and reply with a respective (ExperimenterStatsReply)
> one.
>
> Following the Documentation, I have already added these two new messages
> into *enum ofpraw* structure (ofp-msgs.h) like:
> /* OFPST 1.3+ (65535): struct ofp_prop_experimenter. */
> OFPRAW_OFPST13_EXPERIMENTER_REQUEST
>
> /* OFPST 1.3+ (65535): struct ofp_prop_experimenter. */
>  OFPRAW_OFPST13_EXPERIMENTER_REPLY,

This is the right place but wrong approach there.  OVS has builtin
support for experimenter messages and you can't just override that by
trying to claim all of them.  I would look at the pattern for the
existing experiment messages.  Since you're working on a stats message,
I would follow the pattern for the Open Networking Foundation multipart
messages (ONFST).