[ovs-discuss] [External] : Re: ovsdb-server --private-key=db:OVN_Northbound, SSL, private_key etc

Brendan Doyle brendan.doyle at oracle.com
Tue Jul 20 09:27:30 UTC 2021

On 19/07/2021 17:32, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 04: 29:07PM +0100, Brendan Doyle wrote:
>
>> When I start OVN/OVs using ovn-ctl /ovs-ctl the ovsdb-server processes have
>> SSL credentials of the form:
>>
>> --private-key=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,private_key
>> --certificate=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,certificate
>> --bootstrap-ca-cert=db:Open_vSwitch,SSL,ca_cert
>>
>> --private-key=db:OVN_Northbound,SSL,private_key
>> --certificate=db:OVN_Northbound,SSL,certificate
>> --ca-cert=db:OVN_Northbound,SSL,ca_cert
>> --ssl-protocols=db:OVN_Northbound,SSL,ssl_protocols
>> --ssl-ciphers=db:OVN_Northbound,SSL,ssl_ciphers
>>
>> --private-key=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,private_key
>> --certificate=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,certificate
>> --ca-cert=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,ca_cert
>> --ssl-protocols=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,ssl_protocols
>> --ssl-ciphers=db:OVN_Southbound,SSL,ssl_ciphers
>>
>>  From what I gather this means it gets these values from the database, OVS,
>> OVN North/South?
>>
>> But does that mean that SSL is enabled by default and use a default set of
>> credentials/cipers?
>>
>> Or does it mean If these values (Open_vSwitch,SSL,certificate e,g) are not
>> set in the OVS, or OVN North/South bound data base
>> then the connections are not SSL.
>>
>> And if the later is the case how are these set?
> It means that SSL/TLS connections will use these values.  Whether SSL is
> in use is separately configured.  If you see "pssl:..." in a remote,
> that's an SSL one; "ptcp:..." is for non-SSL TCP.

OK not used if SSL not configured. If SSL configured uses the
credentials pointed to by
--private-key etc, which can be in the Open_vSwitch, OVN_Northbound or
OVN_Southbound
databases in the specified table or else where. So wondering are there
helper tools
(ovn-ctl /ovs-ctl ?) to set these DB tables or are they
created/manipulated by modifying the
DB directly. Guess read the manual.

Thanks