[ovs-discuss] [ovn] hardware offload status - supported NICs

Numan Siddique numans at ovn.org
Fri Mar 12 06:05:44 UTC 2021

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 9:21 PM Krzysztof Klimonda
<kklimonda at syntaxhighlighted.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get a better feel of the current status of hardware offload for OVN. Is there some authoritative document that specifies what NICs support offloading flows created by OVN? I'm mostly interested in Mellanox, as this is our preferred manufacturer, but if other NICs have better support, it would be good to know that too.

Hi,

I'm not sure if there is any such document.

>From what I know, mellanox Nics which support HW offloading of OVS
flows, don't support HWOLing if
the datapath flow has matches for certain ct state fields. I think
there are some efforts under way to
add the support -
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/?submitter=81057

>From the OVN side too we have few patches up and few patches merged to
avoid using
certain ct fields which are not HWOLadable.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ovn/patch/20210224132638.1667113-1-numans@ovn.org/

Thanks
Numan