[ovs-discuss] BGP EVPN support

Luis Tomas Bolivar ltomasbo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 10:29:06 UTC 2021

Hi Sergey, all,

In fact we are working on a solution based on FRR where a (python) agent
reads from OVN SB DB (port binding events) and triggers FRR so that the
needed routes gets advertised. It leverages kernel networking to redirect
the traffic to the OVN overlay, and therefore does not require any
modifications to ovn itself (at least for now). The PoC code can be found
here: https://github.com/luis5tb/bgp-agent

And there is a series of blog posts related to how to use it on OpenStack
and how it works:
- OVN-BGP agent introduction:
https://ltomasbo.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/openstack-networking-with-bgp/
- How to set ip up on DevStack Environment:
https://ltomasbo.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/ovn-bgp-agent-testing-setup/
- In-depth traffic flow inspection:
https://ltomasbo.wordpress.com/2021/02/04/ovn-bgp-agent-in-depth-traffic-flow-inspection/

We are thinking that possible next steps if community is interested could
be related to adding multitenancy support (e.g., through EVPN), as well as
defining what could be the best API to decide what to expose through BGP.
It would be great to get some feedback on it!

Cheers,
Luis

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:09 PM Dan Sneddon <dsneddon at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 3/10/21 2:09 PM, Sergey Chekanov wrote:
> > I am looking to Gobgp (BGP implementation in Go) + go-openvswitch for
> > communicate with OVN Northbound Database right now, but not sure yet.
> > FRR I think will be too heavy for it...
> >
> > On 10.03.2021 05:05, Raymond Burkholder wrote:
> >> You could look at it from a Free Range Routing perspective.  I've used
> >> it in combination with OVS for layer 2 and layer 3 handling.

> FRR is delivered as a set of daemons which perform specific functions.
> If you only need BGP functionality, you can just run bgpd. The zebra
> daemon adds routing exchange between BGP and the kernel. The vtysh
> daemon provides a command-line interface to interact with the FRR
> processes. There is also a bi-directional forwarding detection (BFD)
> daemon that can be run to detect unidirectional forwarding failures.
> Other daemons provide other services and protocols. For this reason, I
> felt that it was lightweight enough to just run a few daemons in a
> container.
>
> A secondary concern for my use case was support on Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux, which will be adding FRR to the supported packages shortly.
>
> I'm curious to hear any input that anyone has on FRR compared with GoBGP
> and other daemons. Please feel free to respond on-list if it involves
> OVS, or off-list if not. Thanks.
>
> --
> Dan Sneddon         |  Senior Principal Software Engineer
> dsneddon at redhat.com |  redhat.com/cloud
> dsneddon:irc        |  @dxs:twitter

LUIS TOMÁS BOLÍVAR
Principal Software Engineer