[ovs-discuss] BGP EVPN support

Mark Gray mark.d.gray at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 18:15:34 UTC 2021

On 16/03/2021 15:41, Krzysztof Klimonda wrote:
> Yes, that seems to be prerequisite (or one of prerequisites) for keeping current DPDK / offload capabilities, as far as I understand. By Proxy ARP/NDP I think you mean responding to ARP and NDP on behalf of the system where FRR is running?
>
> As for whether to go ovn-kubernetes way and try to implement it with existing primitives, or add BGP support directly into OVN, I feel like this should be a core feature of OVN itself and not something that could be built on top of it by a careful placement of logical switches, routers and ports. This would also help with management (you would configure new BGP connection by modifying northbound DB) and simplify troubleshooting in case something is not working as expected.

There would be quite a lot of effort to implement BGP support directly
into OVN as per all the relevant BGP RPCs .. and the effort to maintain.
Another option might be to make FRR Openflow-aware and enabling it to
program Openflow flows directly into an OVN bridge much like it does
into the kernel today. FRR does provide some flexibility to extend like
that through the use of something like FPM
(http://docs.frrouting.org/projects/dev-guide/en/latest/fpm.html)