[ovs-discuss] BGP EVPN support

Mark Gray mark.d.gray at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 16:44:58 UTC 2021

On 16/03/2021 20:28, Krzysztof Klimonda wrote:
> Do you have something more in mind, like programming routes received from BGP router into OVN?

Yes, this is what I was thinking of. We are looking at how to do this
for ovn-kubernetes. For shared gateway mode, we may not be able to use
the kernel routes with FRR so we may need FRR to update an ovs bridge
directly.

On the announcement side, that is another problem we are looking at and
we are considering using the FRR gRPC interface rather than `vtysh` or
updating the config file and reloading. Maybe we could add a field in
OVN NB (announce=true/false) to indicate that this prefix/ip should be
announced. It might ease integration with a third party bgp stack?

Ideally, we would like something generic that could reused by other
projects but I'm not sure if that will be possible. I'll probably have a
better idea of what we will do in a couple of weeks as we look at it in
more detail and can update you if you are interested.