[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] Moving of the primary #openvswitch channel to irc.libera.chat ?

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu May 20 20:07:51 UTC 2021

During the irc meeting today, a question of @openstack bot was raised.
We use the bot to manage and log our weekly meetings, and we would
like to continue using it after migration.

I talked to openstack infra folks (specifically, @fungi), and here is
what I am told:
- openstack still hasn't decided whether to move anywhere from freenode;
- if they move, they will move to oftc that was long time ago
designated as their backup;
- they pre-created all official channels for their sub-projects in
oftc; #openvswitch is not openstack project and so is not owned by
them there;
- I am told that even the fact the bot was enabled for freenode
#openvswitch was probably a mistake since they usually require
ownership for the channel to do that. Regardless,
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/714174/ was
merged.

It doesn't seem like there are plans to ever support bot on libera
network. They MAY support it on oftc is tech committee decides to move
(still on agenda). If we want to continue using the bot, we will have
to run our own instance (both the bot itself as well as the web server
to publish logs).

It may be easier to move to oftc and not libera if we want to continue
using the bot without taking over its maintenance. Regardless, we may
have to formally pass over ownership of the channel to openstack
infra.

If you ask my personal opinion, I would take a timeout and watch what
other projects (especially openstack that we rely on here) do and then
decide. Freenode is still operating and can serve the project needs
until we have a better picture.

I hope it helps,
Ihar