[ovs-discuss] ovn environment vm live migrate lose packets

Slawek Kaplonski skaplons at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 11:57:04 UTC 2021

Hi,

On wtorek, 12 października 2021 16:08:55 CEST 鲁 成 wrote:
> Issue: openstack live migrate ping packets lose
>
> Env:
> Open vSwitch 2.12.0
> ovn-controller 21.06.0
>
> Issue I met:
> when I keep ping vm1, and try to do live-migrate for vm1.
> I except ping packet will not lose, but almost lose 5 ~ 10 packet each
times.

> What I found:
> when do a live-migrate, nova will create a tap on target node, after migrate
> finished, will delete tap on the source node
 Ovn controller on the target
> node will try to claim lport, but it will not succeed until source node
> release lport. But it take some time from release lport to claim succeed,
and
> at this time port_binding chassis field is empty, so it not gonna generate
> openflow and send to vswitchd.
> Sent from my iPhone

This is know issue in OpenStack Nova and Neutron. We have proposed changed to
address live migration issues in the ML2/OVN case. Please see: https://
review.opendev.org/c/openstack/neutron-specs/+/799198 and related patches for
more details.

--
Slawek Kaplonski
Principal Software Engineer