[ovs-discuss] [ovn] dnat_and_snat configuration question

Numan Siddique numans at ovn.org
Tue Sep 14 18:38:40 UTC 2021

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 11:56 AM Odintsov Vladislav <VlOdintsov at croc.ru> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are some questions about NAT in OVN from me.
>
> 1. Is there any documentation about how GARP works in OVN with localnet ports?
> I see GARPs sending when new network is configured on the associated router port (ovn-nbctl set logical-router-port <lrp> networks="<ip1> <ip2>")

Can you please see ovn-nb man page and grep for "nat-addresses" -
https://www.ovn.org/support/dist-docs/ovn-nb.5.html

> 2. I’m wonder if GARP should be sent when a new dnat_and_snat rule is added to the edge LR.
> We’ve got cases, where in centralised topology administrator can reschedule chassis for 1:1 outgoing traffic. In my understanding it’s just enough to set new gateway chassis to wan logical router port and remove an old one. So, CR lrp is moved to another chassis and should sent GARP to notify upstream switches to update FDB. In my tests this is not executed, but may be I’m configured something wrong.

If you configure nat-addresses=router for the logical switch port of
type router (connecting to the router port),  then ovn-controller will
send GARPs for NAT entries.

Obviously the logical switch would be also having a localnet port.
ovn-controller will generate GARPs and send them out
via the patch ports connecting the br-int to the provider bridge.

This is what the man page says
----

Options for router ports:

       These options apply when type is router.

       options : router-port: optional string
              Required. The name of the Logical_Router_Port to which this log‐
              ical switch port is connected.

       options : nat-addresses: optional string
              This is used to send  gratuitous  ARPs  for  SNAT  and  DNAT  IP
              addresses  via  the  localnet  port that is attached to the same
              logical switch as this type router port. This option  is  speci‐
              fied  on  a  logical  switch port that is connected to a gateway
              router, or a logical switch port that is connected to a distrib‐
              uted gateway port on a logical router.

              This must take one of the following forms:

              router Gratuitous ARPs will be sent for all SNAT and DNAT exter‐
                     nal IP addresses and for all load balancer  IP  addresses
                     defined  on  the  options:router-port’s  logical  router,
                     using the options:router-port’s MAC address.

                     This form of options:nat-addresses is valid  for  logical
                     switch  ports  where options:router-port is the name of a
                     port on a gateway router, or the name  of  a  distributed
                     gateway port.

                     Supported  only  in  OVN  2.8 and later. Earlier versions
                     required NAT addresses to be manually synchronized.

              Ethernet address followed by one or more IPv4 addresses
                     Example:  80:fa:5b:06:72:b7  158.36.44.22   158.36.44.24.
                     This would result in generation of gratuitous ARPs for IP
                     addresses  158.36.44.22  and  158.36.44.24  with  a   MAC
                     address of 80:fa:5b:06:72:b7.

                     This form of options:nat-addresses is only valid for log‐
-------

> 3. Do I need to configure an IP address to be an LRP network address for each NAT 1:1 entry?

I didn't understand this question completely.   Which column of NAT
table are you referring to here ?
"logical_ip" column or "external_ip" column ?

Thanks
Numan